Ever get fed up with having the same old breakfast? Every. Single. Day. This recipe for Kale and Tomato Frittata is a great way to liven up your morning. Fresh, fast and filling, this recipe serves six people or a very hungry couple. Grab your fork – this is low in sugar and carbohydrates. Enjoy.
Fat: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 2.1 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Carbohydrate: 12 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sugars: 8 g
Sodium: 400 mg
Potassium: 790 mg
Protein: 9 g
Phosphorus: 140 mg
Makes: 6 servings
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 250g fresh kale, ribs removed, washed, and coarsely chopped
- 3 large whole eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tbsp. skimmed milk
- Dash tabasco sauce
- 1 tbsp. olive oil medium red onion or shallots, chopped
- 2 spring onions, minced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp. fresh basil
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. paprika 30g crumbled feta cheese
- Boil the kale in a saucepan, three-quarters filled with water. This should take about six to seven minutes. Drain the kale and press out the water. Set aside as you will return to this later.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, and hot sauce. Set this aside too.
- In a large ovenproof frying pan or skillet, heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for three to four minutes, until soft. Add the spring onions and garlic, and sauté for one minute. Add the cooked kale, basil, salt, and pepper, and cook for 1 minute.
- Take the frying pan off the heat and place it under the grill for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, pour the egg mixture over the kale mixture in the skillet. Let the eggs cook, undisturbed, for about 4 minutes. Use a spatula to gently lift the eggs around the edges and allow any uncooked egg mixture to flow to the bottom of the pan and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more, until the egg is almost set.
- Lay the tomato slices in overlapping circles over the cooked eggs. Sprinkle with the paprika and feta cheese. Place the frying pan under the grill for about 3 minutes, until the tomatoes are lightly browned, the feta cheese is melted, and the eggs are completely set. Remove the pan from the grill and cut the frittata into six wedges to serve.
For the perfect treat, serve in bed with Clipper English Tea or Pomegranate and Green Tea Juice from our Breakfast in Bed Gift Hamper. What’s your favourite breakfast treat?